- the making of goods or wares by manual labor or by machinery, especially on a large scale: the manufacture of television sets.
- the making or producing of anything; generation: the manufacture of body cells.
- the thing or material manufactured; product: Plastic is an important manufacture.
- to make or produce by hand or machinery, especially on a large scale.
- to work up (material) into form for use: to manufacture cotton.
- to invent fictitiously; fabricate; concoct: to manufacture an account of the incident.
- to produce in a mechanical way without inspiration or originality: to manufacture a daily quota of poetry.
Origin of manufacture
SynonymsSee more synonyms for manufacture on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for manufacturing
Manufacturing merchandise, publicity (a radio ad in SF, Facebook ads, venue specific advertising), supplies, shipping.How Much Money Does a Band Really Make on Tour?
December 8, 2014
Preliminary results performed by Italian authorities “have not detected any manufacturing defect,” she added.Did This Flu Vaccine Kill 13?
Barbie Latza Nadeau
December 2, 2014
While the President was trumpeting amnesty, The New York Times reported on how manufacturing jobs were paying less and less.With Immigration Move, Obama and the Welfare Party Strike Again
November 24, 2014
“That gave us a huge entree into manufacturing in London,” says Hulanicki.Barbara Hulanicki, Queen of Fast Fashion
October 15, 2014
Almost a third of manufacturing jobs disappeared within a decade.Scotland’s ‘Yes’ Campaign and the Myth of Scottish Equality
September 18, 2014
No manufacturing town in France is better off in this respect.In the Heart of Vosges
"I hadn't thought of manufacturing them for sale," said the young inventor.Tom Swift and his Electric Runabout
We did something in the way of manufacturing, but we could not do it now.Ireland as It Is
Robert John Buckley (AKA R.J.B.)
At last accounts, she was keeping a boarding-house in a manufacturing town.Paul Prescott's Charge
Instead of manufacturing the cell from bottom to top, it has only to complete it.The Industries of Animals
- to process or make (a product) from a raw material, esp as a large-scale operation using machinery
- (tr) to invent or concoctto manufacture an excuse
- the production of goods, esp by industrial processes
- a manufactured product
- the creation or production of anything
Word Origin and History for manufacturing
1680s, from manufacture (n.). Related: Manufactured; manufacturing; manufacturable.
1560s, "something made by hand," from Middle French manufacture, from Medieval Latin *manufactura (source of Italian manifattura, Spanish manufactura), from Latin manu, ablative of manus "hand" (see manual (adj.)) + factura "a working," from past participle stem of facere "to perform" (see factitious). Sense of "process of manufacturing" first recorded c.1600. Related: Manufactures.