- Anatomy, Zoology. the distal segment of the forelimb of a vertebrate, including the carpus and the forefoot or hand.
- Roman Law. power over persons, as that of the husband over the wife.
Origin of manus
1510–20; < Latin: hand
- a member of a people living on the island of Manus, in the Admiralty Islands.
- the progenitor and lawgiver of the human race.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- anatomy the wrist and hand
- the corresponding part in other vertebrates
- Roman law the authority of a husband over his wife
- English law (formerly) an oath or the person taking an oath
C19: Latin: hand
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- The distal part of the arm, including the carpus, metacarpus, and digits.
- The hand.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.