- Hindu Mythology. the god of death, sometimes seen as one aspect of a god whose other aspect is Kama, or erotic desire.
- Buddhism. Satan, who tried to seduce the Buddha at the time of his Enlightenment.
- a burrowing, gray, long-eared and long-legged cavy of the genus Dolichotis, native to South America.
Examples from the Web for mara
Contemporary Examples of mara
Khoroshilov assisted Zan for such shows as Kaelen, The Academy or Art, Mara Hoffman, J.Crew, and Greg Lauren.Does Fashion Week Exploit Teen Models?
September 14, 2014
The majority of the violence in Honduras is carried out by two main gangs, Mara Salvatrucha, or MS-13, and Barrio 18.The Awful Facts Behind the White House's Plan to Help Honduras
July 27, 2014
Harold and Mara remarried after nearly 30 years of living in sin, smoked a last joint together, and that was it.
As one story goes, Bianca Jagger, impressed, once made a plaster cast of Mara's posterior.
Once, when he was doing the second Ali-Spinks fight in New Orleans, Harold and Mara had an all-time argument.
Historical Examples of mara
And how could one with that mara upon him, write of the ethics of life and religion?The Book of Khalid
Three graceful women, Mara's daughters, sing in a low enticing voice.The Buddha
It must have been mara,” said she, thoughtfully; “but go on with thy dream.Erling the Bold
Now Naomi signifies in the Hebrew tongue happiness, and Mara, sorrow.The Antiquities of the Jews
Erick stood up unsteadily, helping Jan and Mara to their feet.The Crystal Crypt
Philip Kindred Dick
- a harelike South American rodent, Dolichotis patagonum, inhabiting the pampas of Argentina: family Caviidae (cavies)
Word Origin for mara
- one of several organized criminal gangs of Central American origin also operating in the US