- the amount added by a seller to the cost of a commodity to cover expenses and profit in fixing the selling price.
- the difference between the cost price and the selling price, computed as a percentage of either the selling price or the cost price.
- an increase in price, as of a commodity.
- the amount by which a price is increased.
verb (used with object)
LEARN THE SPANISH WORDS FOR THESE COMMON ANIMALS!
Origin of markup
British Dictionary definitions for markup
- an increase in the price of a commodity
- the amount of this increase
verb mark up (tr, adverb)
Idioms and Phrases with markup
Deface by drawing, cutting, or another means of covering something with marks. For example, John was punished for marking up his desk, or These shoes really mark up the floor.
Raise the price of something, as in This small shop marks up its merchandise much more than department stores do. [Second half of 1800s]