- a person's greatest piece of work, as in an art.
- anything done with masterly skill: a masterpiece of improvisation.
- a consummate example of skill or excellence of any kind: The chef's cake was a masterpiece.
- a piece made by a person aspiring to the rank of master in a guild or other craft organization as a proof of competence.
Origin of masterpiece
Related Words for masterpiecemonument, treasure, jewel, gem, classic, masterstroke, flower, prize, standard, showpiece, perfection, model, cream
Examples from the Web for masterpiece
Contemporary Examples of masterpiece
The masterpiece is huge, but structurally flawed and terribly vulnerable to seismic activity.Florence Preps ‘David’ for the Big One
Barbie Latza Nadeau
December 25, 2014
In the masterpiece Mr. Turner, Mike Leigh translates the soul of his characters on screen.Mike Leigh Is the Master Filmmaker Who Hates Hollywood
October 14, 2014
Two decades on from his masterpiece on anti-Americanism abroad, Whit Stillman remains obsessed with native-expat dynamics.Whit Stillman on the 20th Anniversary of ‘Barcelona’, His New Amazon Series, and the Myth of the Ugly Expat
August 10, 2014
Think twice about filming that two-minute masterpiece and making yourself the next Paris Hilton (if you're lucky).So You Want to be a Porn Star? Inside the Sex Tape Phenomenon
July 19, 2014
Did it have anything to do with you starring with Zac Efron in the masterpiece that was Charlie St. Cloud?Dave Franco Uncut: The Actor on ’22 Jump Street,’ ‘The Room,’ and His Bro’s Nude Instagrams
June 13, 2014
Historical Examples of masterpiece
The outcome of that objective vision was Hamlet—a masterpiece of self-revealing.
Lamb and Coleridge, on the other hand, have praised "Lear" as a world's masterpiece.
Viewed only as a masterpiece of human life it might well be the despair of mankind.Understanding the Scriptures
A stanza, the final one of that masterpiece, has been preserved.Southern Lights and Shadows
It's a masterpiece to have invented a serious suit that is not black.The Middle Class Gentleman
less commonly masterwork (ˈmɑːstəˌwɜːk)
- an outstanding work, achievement, or performance
- the most outstanding piece of work of a creative artist, craftsman, etc