- of, relating to, or used in or for mastication.
- Pharmacology. a medicinal substance to be chewed, as to promote the secretion of saliva.
Origin of masticatory
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for masticatory
We will divide these muscles into two categories: masticatory and cutaneous.Artistic Anatomy of Animals
It is used as a masticatory in combination with the areca nut and betel leaf, and also for tanning purposes.
Used for similar purposes to india-rubber, and in the United States chewed as a masticatory.
It is chiefly used as a masticatory, to strengthen and preserve the teeth, and perfume the breath.
It has also been used as a masticatory in toothache, paralysis of the tongue, &c. On the Continent it is used as a vesicant.
- of, relating to, or adapted to chewing
- obsolete a medicinal substance chewed to increase the secretion of saliva
- Of, relating to, or used in mastication.
- Adapted for chewing.
- A medicinal substance that is chewed to increase salivation.