- British Dialect.
- a doll, puppet, scarecrow, or other figure built to resemble a human being.
- an empty-headed or mindless person.
- Obsolete. an idol; a false god.
Origin of maumet
1175–1225; Middle English < Old French mahommet idol, special use of Mahommet Mohammed, whose image was thought to be an object of worship
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for maumet
Its earlier form is maumet, meaning "idol," and it is a contraction of Mahomet.The Romance of Words (4th ed.)
- obsolete a false god; idol
- English dialect a figure dressed up, such as a guy or scarecrow
C13: from Old French mahomet idol, literally: the prophet Mohammed, from the belief that his image was worshipped