- 1832–67, archduke of Austria: emperor of Mexico 1864–67.
- a male given name.
- 1459–1519, emperor of the Holy Roman Empire 1493–1519.
- 1527–76, emperor of the Holy Roman Empire 1564–76.
Examples from the Web for maximilian
Historical Examples of maximilian
It is difficult to do justice to the fine qualities of Maximilian.Albert Durer
T. Sturge Moore
The Venetians, likewise, were taken napping by Emperor Maximilian.Selections from the Table Talk of Martin Luther
The death of Maximilian and the election of Charles V. were a year old now.Holbein
Maximilian Hostialick was famed for his learning, piety, and humanity.Fox's Book of Martyrs
Maximilian's wife was in France, expecting soon to see her husband.Charles Carleton Coffin
William Elliot Griffis, D. D.
- full name Ferdinand Maximilian Joseph. 1832–67, archduke of Austria and emperor of Mexico (1864–67). After the French had partially conquered Mexico, he was offered the throne but was defeated and shot by the Mexicans under Juárez
- 1459–1519, king of Germany (1486–1519) and Holy Roman Emperor (1493–1519)
masc. proper name, from Latin Maximus and Aemilianus, both proper names. According to Camden, Holy Roman Emperor Frederick III (1415-1493) coined the name and gave it to his son in hopes the boy would grow up to have the virtues of Fabius Maximus and Scipio Aemilianus.