- a record of events written by a person having intimate knowledge of them and based on personal observation.
- Usually memoirs.
- an account of one's personal life and experiences; autobiography.
- the published record of the proceedings of a group or organization, as of a learned society.
- a biography or biographical sketch.
Origin of memoir
Synonyms for memoirSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for memoirsessay, autobiography, account, memory, treatise, chronicle, journal, anecdote, life, reminiscence, note, recollection, diary, thesis, narrative, biography, dissertation, register, discourse, monograph
Examples from the Web for memoirs
Contemporary Examples of memoirs
Sachin Tendulkar may be one of the most brilliant players in the sport, but he struggles to liven up his memoirs.The Story of the World’s Greatest Cricket Player
December 24, 2014
He is the author of Broken Glass, Memoirs of a Porcupine, and African Psycho, among others.Living Black & Gay in the ’50s
December 3, 2014
His memoirs led Campagnol to a convent at the church of Santa Maria degli Angeli on Murano, where Mr. Casanova had a lover.The Venetian Nuns Who Ditched Their Habits for High Fashion
September 14, 2014
Not just selling the tapes but having them to mine for his memoirs, other foreign affairs books he wanted to write.
What were the significant records, memoirs, and other reveals that preceded this book?
Historical Examples of memoirs
He says in his Memoirs that the only persons she could then trust were himself and Mdlle.Reflections
Francois Duc De La Rochefoucauld
I often saw him afterwards, and now and again we shall meet him in the pages of my Memoirs.
But in these Memoirs I have put on one side all that touches the inner part of my life.
I will include it in these Memoirs, as it cannot but prove entertaining.
What would be the use of memoirs from which sincerity were absent?
- a collection of reminiscences about a period, series of events, etc, written from personal experience or special sources
- an autobiographical record
- a collection or record, as of transactions of a society, etc
- a biography or historical account, esp one based on personal knowledge
- an essay or monograph, as on a specialized topic
- obsolete a memorandum
Word Origin for memoir
"personal record of events," 1650s, plural of memoir.
early 15c., "written record," from Anglo-French memorie "note, memorandum, something written to be kept in mind" (early 15c., Old French memoire), from Latin memoria (see memory). Meaning "person's written account of his life" is from 1670s.