[men-stroo-ey-shuh n, -strey-]
- the periodic discharge of blood and mucosal tissue from the uterus, occurring approximately monthly from puberty to menopause in nonpregnant women and females of other primate species.
- the period of menstruating.
Origin of menstruation
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for menstruation
When menstruation attacks—according to any generic pre-teen girl—all nightmares become reality.HelloFlo Offers Tampon Subscriptions and Educational Materials Aimed at Teens
July 29, 2013
Low rates of cervical cancer are about genetics—they have nothing to do with menstruation.Chaya Doesn't Speak for Me
May 25, 2012
Two small openings roughly equal to the diameter of a matchstick are left for urination and menstruation respectively.Why Are American Doctors Mutilating Girls?
Ayaan Hirsi Ali
May 20, 2010
The authors of Flow: The Cultural Story of Menstruation believe the answer is: a whole lot of them.
Nearly all titles on menstruation are geared toward preteen girls or are dry and academic, published by small presses.
Disorders of menstruation have much less influence on fecundity.
Irregularity and pain in menstruation are a frequent cause of neuroticism.
Her menstruation was irregular; did not come around for two months.
My menstruation is very painful and some months I have it twice.
His knowledge of the phenomena of menstruation was as wide and definite.Old-Time Makers of Medicine
James J. Walsh
- the approximately monthly discharge of blood and cellular debris from the uterus by nonpregnant women from puberty to the menopauseAlso called: menses Nontechnical name: period
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for menstruation
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
- The process or an instance of discharging the menses.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
- The monthly flow of blood from the uterus beginning at puberty in girls and other female primates. Also called menses See also menstrual cycle.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.