- a method of engraving on copper or steel by burnishing or scraping away a uniformly roughened surface.
- a print produced by this method.
- to engrave in mezzotint.
Origin of mezzotint
Related Words for mezzotintillustration, inscription, etching, lithograph, woodcut, engraving, reproduction, ingrain, chisel, inscribe, imprint, etch, embed, impression, scratch, cutting, print, chasing, intaglio, mezzotint
Examples from the Web for mezzotint
Historical Examples of mezzotint
The mezzotint of Cotton Mather, made in 1727, sold for two shillings.Customs and Fashions in Old New England
Alice Morse Earle
I never said that mezzotint ignored light and shade, or ought to do so.
Mezzotint is properly to be considered as chiaroscuro drawing on metal.
The edge of the mouth is defined by a mezzotint at the point of union.Rodin: The Man and his Art
Several of his portraits he engraved with his own hand in line and mezzotint.
- a method of engraving a copper plate by scraping and burnishing the roughened surface
- a print made from a plate so treated
- (tr) to engrave (a copper plate) in this fashion