- a member of a North American Indian tribe of the Algonquian family, formerly located in northern Indiana, southern Michigan, and possibly Illinois, now extinct as a tribe.
- their dialect of the Illinois language.
- a city in SE Florida: seaside resort.
- Also called Great Miami. a river in W Ohio, flowing S into the Ohio River. 160 miles (260 km) long.
- a city in NE Oklahoma.
Examples from the Web for miami
Contemporary Examples of miami
The whole world is running off to Miami for the Christmas holidays.
He was going to have to start hitchhiking to Miami before it got dark.
A twinned, imagined narrative of a fictitious Fidel Castro and a Miami exile intent on assassinating him.Book Bag: Great Books About Cuba
December 20, 2014
MIAMI — Fidel Castro seized power in January 1959 after waging a guerilla war against then-dictator Fulgencio Batista.Cuba Is A Kleptocracy, Not Communist
December 19, 2014
Terrorists against Cuba who had once shot down passenger jets later found safe haven in Miami.The Life and Hard Times Of The Family A Cuban Defector Left Behind
December 19, 2014
Historical Examples of miami
But, however this may be, he found the Miami village in ashes, and all who dwelt in it dispersed.
Had any Miami warriors fallen into the hands of these savages, awful would have been their doom.
He'll blacklist you in every yacht club from Bar Harbor to Miami.Blow The Man Down
Seeing this, the Miami whipped out his knife and stood on the defensive.The Riflemen of the Miami
Edward S. Ellis
I wouldn't have missed all this experience for the finest farm in the Miami Valley.The Red Acorn
- a city and resort in SE Florida, on Biscayne Bay: developed chiefly after 1896, esp with the Florida land boom of the 1920s; centre of an extensive tourist area. Pop: 376 815 (2003 est)
Word Origin and History for miami
place name in U.S.; the one in Florida is of unknown origin, attested in Spanish as Maymi (1566), Mayaimi (1575). The one in Ohio is from the Miami, native people there, attested from 18c., apparently from a native word /myaamiwa "downstream person."
Best-known city in Florida.