- Also called Middle Empire. the period in the history of ancient Egypt, c2000–1785 b.c., comprising the 11th to 14th dynasties.Compare New Kingdom, Old Kingdom.
- the 18 inner provinces of China, taken collectively.
- (loosely) China.
- the Chinese Empire: originally so called from its supposed location in the center of the earth.
Origin of Middle Kingdom
First recorded in 1655–65
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- a period of Egyptian history extending from the late 11th to the 13th dynasty (?2040–?1670 bc)
- the former Chinese empire (from the belief that it lay at the centre of the earth)
- the original 18 provinces of China; China proper
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012