- the sperm-containing secretion of the testes of fishes.
- the testes and sperm ducts when filled with this secretion.
Origin of milt
Related Words for miltgrudge, choler, wrath, spite, melancholy, hostility, lien, malice, resentment, caprice, dislike, whim, anger, hatred, rancor, ire, depression, milt, sperm
Examples from the Web for milt
Historical Examples of milt
At the same time the male was expelling what in fish is known as the milt.The Meaning of Evolution
Samuel Christian Schmucker
"I'll—I'll go home with you, if you want me to, 'stead of with Milt," she quavered.
"Hello, Milt," said a familiar voice as he reined Marc close to the step.
Just hold on a minute and you'll see Milt Richardson pokin' along this way.Country Neighbors
Milt scowled and looked as though he wished he hadn't said that.Vital Ingredient
- the testis of a fish
- the spermatozoa and seminal fluid produced by a fish
- rare the spleen of certain animals, esp fowls and pigs
- to fertilize (the roe of a female fish) with milt, esp artificially
Word Origin for milt
Old English milte "spleen," from Proto-Germanic *miltjo- (cf. Old Frisian milte, Middle Dutch milte, Dutch milt "spleen, milt of fish," Old High German milzi, German milz, Old Norse milti). Meaning "fish sperm" is late 15c.
- Fish sperm, together with the milky liquid that contains them.