- a state in the central United States. 69,674 sq. mi. (180,455 sq. km). Capital: Jefferson City. Abbreviation: MO (for use with zip code), Mo.
- a river flowing from SW Montana into the Mississippi N of St. Louis, Mo. 2723 miles (4382 km) long.
- a member of a North American Indian tribe belonging to the Siouan linguistic stock, located on the Missouri River in early historic times and now extinct as a tribe.
- from Missouri, Informal. unwilling to accept something without proof; skeptical: I'm from Missouri—you'll have to show me that you're right.
Examples from the Web for missouri
Contemporary Examples of missouri
Co., Missouri Corporation that manufactures plumbing products.The 26 Next Hobby Lobbys
December 17, 2014
Last week, Robert Wayne Holsey of Georgia and Paul Goodwin of Missouri were executed within just a few hours of each other.How the U.S. Justice System Screws Prisoners with Disabilities
December 16, 2014
Not 90 seconds later, Brown lay shot to death in broad daylight in the middle of a Missouri street.90 Seconds of Fury in Ferguson Are the Key to Making Peace in America
November 26, 2014
At an important Ebola meeting on Capital Hill last week, Missouri Sen. Claire McCaskill was shocked to find it half-full.Millions Promised for Ebola Not Adding Up
November 25, 2014
Three months of despair were ignited in suburban Missouri when officer Darren Wilson was told he would walk free.Raging Protesters Set Ferguson on Fire
November 25, 2014
Historical Examples of missouri
So there is plenty of them in Missouri, though I didn't know it before.Tom Sawyer Abroad
Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens)
What shook the pillars of the Union when the Missouri question was agitated?The Works of Whittier, Volume VII (of VII)
John Greenleaf Whittier
On the 1st of November they all arrived on the banks of the Missouri.The History of Louisiana
Le Page Du Pratz
In his old age he removed from Kentucky to the banks of the Missouri.The Emigrant
Frederick William Thomas
It used to be Boston, but the settlers around there were largely from Missouri.The Boy Settlers
- a state of the central US: consists of rolling prairies in the north, the Ozark Mountains in the south, and part of the Mississippi flood plain in the southeast, with the Mississippi forming the E border; chief US producer of lead and barytes. Capital: Jefferson City. Pop: 5 704 484 (2003 est). Area: 178 699 sq km (68 995 sq miles)Abbreviation: Mo, (with zip code) MO
- a river in the W and central US, rising in SW Montana: flows north, east, and southeast to join the Mississippi above St Louis; the longest river in North America; chief tributary of the Mississippi. Length: 3970 km (2466 miles)
originally a name for a group of native peoples among Chiwere (Siouan) tribes, from an Algonquian word recorded c.1700, literally "people of the big canoes." The expression I'm from Missouri, you'll have to show me is attested from at least c.1880. Related: Missourian.
see from Missouri.