- an aspect of a thing.
- Obsolete. an essential or constituent factor.
- a tendency to produce motion, especially about an axis.
- the product of a physical quantity and its directed distance from an axis: moment of area; moment of mass.
BECOME A PRO CHEF WITH THIS EXQUISITE CUISINE QUIZ!
Origin of moment
Words nearby moment
Example sentences from the Web for moment
In that country at that moment, the Catholics have practically disappeared.Houellebecq’s Incendiary Novel Imagines France With a Muslim President|Pierre Assouline|January 9, 2015|DAILY BEAST
But Krauss said that from the moment he and the other scientists arrived on the island, they never saw anything untoward.Sleazy Billionaire’s Double Life Featured Beach Parties With Stephen Hawking|M.L. Nestel|January 8, 2015|DAILY BEAST
At the moment, the only chance I get is when I go do Late Night with Seth Meyers.
And then I met him before I started doing the impression of him when he was a guest on SNL for a moment.
And that would have been the moment for Lynch to turn his back.
In the porch he paused a moment, to draw on his woollen gloves, and button his great coat, and for something besides.Gifts of Genius|Various
This is the moment, therefore, for us to frame our inexorable resolution.The Wrack of the Storm|Maurice Maeterlinck
After the first moment she did not look at Julian; she looked away from him out of the window.The Second Fiddle|Phyllis Bottome
They stood so for a moment, hands gripped, eyes pointed steadily into eyes.To Him That Hath|Leroy Scott
When Gwynne and Isabel descended the steps and stood looking down upon the scene for a moment, the younger people were dancing.Ancestors|Gertrude Atherton
British Dictionary definitions for moment
- a tendency to produce motion, esp rotation about a point or axis
- the product of a physical quantity, such as force or mass, and its distance from a fixed reference pointSee also moment of inertia
Word Origin for moment
Idioms and Phrases with moment
In addition to the idiom beginning with moment
- moment of truth
- at this point (moment)
- every minute (moment) counts
- for the moment
- have one's moments
- just a minute (moment)
- live for the moment
- never a dull moment
- not for a moment
- of the moment
- on the spur of the moment
- weak moment