- Biology. consisting of organisms descended from a single taxon.
Origin of monophyletic
Examples from the Web for monophyletic
Historical Examples of monophyletic
On the question as to whether descent was monophyletic or polyphyletic Darwin expressed no dogmatic opinion.Form and Function
E. S. (Edward Stuart) Russell
The problem of the monophyletic or polyphyletic origin of the human race has also been much discussed.Evolution in Modern Thought
It is generally believed that the Arthropoda constitute a natural, monophyletic group.The Appendages, Anatomy, and Relationships of Trilobites
Percy Edward Raymond
- relating to or characterized by descent from a single ancestral group of animals or plants
- (of animals or plants) of or belonging to a single stock
- Descended or derived from one original stock or source.
- Of or being the theory that all blood cells are derived from one common stem cell.
- Relating to a taxonomic group that contains all the descendants of a single common ancestor. All clades, such as birds and placental mammals, are monophyletic. Compare paraphyletic polyphyletic.