- a mountain in SE France, near the Italian border: highest peak of the Alps, 15,781 feet (4810 meters).
Italian Monte Bianco.
[blahn for 1, 3; blangk for 2]
- Jean Jo·seph Charles Louis [zhahn zhaw-zef sharl lwee] /ʒɑ̃ ʒɔˈzɛf ʃarl lwi/, 1811–82, French socialist and historian.
- Mel(vin Jerome),1908–1989, U.S. voice actor for cartoon characters, as Woody Woodpecker and Daffy Duck, in films.
- Mont. Mont Blanc.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- Mont Blanc See Mont Blanc
- Cape Blanc a headland in N Tunisia: the northernmost point of Africa
- Cape Blanc or Cape Blanco (ˈblæŋkəʊ) a peninsula in Mauritania, on the Atlantic coast
- (Jean Joseph Charles) Louis (lwi). 1811–82, French socialist and historian: author of L'Organisation du travail (1840), in which he advocated the establishment of cooperative workshops subsidized by the state
- a massif in SW Europe, mainly between France and Italy: the highest mountain in the Alps; beneath it is Mont Blanc Tunnel, 12 km (7.5 miles) long. Highest peak (in France): 4807 m (15 771 ft)Italian name: Monte Bianco (ˈmonte ˈbjaŋko)
It is the highest peak in France and one of the highest in Europe.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.