- resembling a monument; massive or imposing.
- exceptionally great, as in quantity, quality, extent, or degree: a monumental work.
- of historical or enduring significance: a monumental victory.
- Fine Arts. having the quality of being larger than life; of heroic scale.
- of or relating to a monument or monuments.
- serving as a monument.
Origin of monumental
Synonyms for monumental
Examples from the Web for monumentalism
Contemporary Examples of monumentalism
My father never succumbed to the temptation that has laid low so many real estate developers: monumentalism.My Eulogy for My Father, Murray Frum
May 31, 2013
- like a monument, esp in large size, endurance, or importancea monumental work of art
- of, relating to, or being a monument
- informal (intensifier)monumental stupidity
c.1600, "pertaining to a monument," from Late Latin monumentalis "pertaining to a monument," from monumentum (see monument). From 1650s in the loose sense of "vast, stupendous." Related: Monumentally.