- Everest(def 1).
- something regarded as the most difficult or challenging of its kind: the Mount Everest of international sailing.
- Mount, a mountain in S Asia, on the boundary between Nepal and Tibet, in the Himalayas: the highest mountain in the world. 29,028 feet (8848 meters).
- high point; summit: The book is an Everest in the field of historical scholarship.
- a male given name.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- Mount Everest a mountain in S Asia on the border between Nepal and Tibet, in the Himalayas: the highest mountain in the world; first climbed by members of a British-led expedition (1953). Height: established as 8848 m (29 028 ft) for many years, but the latest of a series of more recent reassessments (in 1999), not currently accepted by all authorities or by either of the controlling governments, puts it at 8850 m (29 035 ft)Nepalese name: Sagarmatha Chinese names: Qomolangma, Chomolungma
- any high point of ambition or achievement
Word Origin for Everest
C19: named after Sir G. Everest (1790–1866), Surveyor-General of India
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
mountain between Nepal and Tibet, named 1865 for Sir George Everest (1790-1866), surveyor-general of India. The Tibetan name is Chomolangma "mother goddess of the world."
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
At over 29,000 feet, it is the highest peak in the world.
The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, Third Edition Copyright © 2005 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.