- a set of standards and file format for compression of digital video and audio data.
- a file compressed in this format.
Origin of MPEG
1990–95; M(oving) P(icture) E(xperts) G(roup), developer of the standards
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- computing a standard file format for compressing video images and audio sounds
C20: technique devised by the M (otion) P (icture) E (xperts) G (roup)
- Short for Moving Pictures Expert Group.
- Any of a set of standards established for the compression of digital audio and video data.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.