- to arrange (a circuit) for use by multiplex telegraphy, allowing multiple synchronous signals to be sent and received on a single telegraph wire.
- to transmit (two or more signals or messages) by a multiplex system, circuit, or the like, as in telegraph and telephone communication, or television and radio broadcasting.
OTHER WORDS FROM multiplexmul·ti·plex·er, mul·ti·plex·or, noun
Words nearby multiplex
How to use multiplex in a sentence
It exports videos in any format, resolution, size, or bitrate, making it easy to optimize your content for playback via YouTube, social media, streaming services, BluRay, or your local multiplex.The best video editing software for YouTube production is a cut above|Brian S. Hawkins|January 15, 2022|Popular-Science
Now, there are multiplexes across Riyadh and Jeddah packing theaters with movies like The House of Gucci.Saudi Arabia Faces Accusations of ‘Sportswashing.’ For Young Saudis, It’s a Chance to Enjoy New Freedoms|Vivienne Walt / Jeddah|December 10, 2021|Time
If he ever does, it would probably still run circles around whatever else is playing at the multiplex that weekend.
If you want to see what he means, open up Instagram, head to your local multiplex, or pop by the gym.
Part of the fun of following the Fast & Furious franchise is getting wrapped up in the meta-narrative of its existence as a franchise — its long, strange path through the multiplex, across 20 years.The rise and rise and rise of the Fast & Furious franchise|Emily VanDerWerff|June 25, 2021|Vox
Nowadays, it looks like Anschutz is trying to get out of the multiplex business.The Right-Wing Billionaire Who Bowed to North Korea over ‘The Interview’|Asawin Suebsaeng|December 19, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Once, after the midnight premiere of a summer blockbuster, I got trapped on the top floor of a giant multiplex.The War Inside: Terrorism & Teenhood in ‘No Dawn Without Darkness’|Hugh Ryan|August 3, 2014|DAILY BEAST
What was the point of Outfest when you could see the next Todd Haynes movie in the multiplex?Hollywood’s Evolving Heart: How Movies Grew to Love Gays|Teo Bugbee|May 28, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Twelve people died when a madman opened fire at a multiplex cinema in Colorado in 2012.Inside the NYPD’s Report on the Kenya Shopping Mall Massacre|Christopher Dickey|December 10, 2013|DAILY BEAST
What movie was showing when James Eagan Holmes opened fire at that multiplex in Aurora, Colo.
Harrowed by the multiplex difficulties surrounding an intrigue, Persis was kept waiting at the door a long time in the cold.What Will People Say?|Rupert Hughes
Multitudinous but not multiplex, in him odd and apparently incongruous notions dwelt peaceably together.Spare Hours|John Brown
In some instances both varieties (xanthoma multiplex) are seen in the same individual.Essentials of Diseases of the Skin|Henry Weightman Stelwagon
It has been practically demonstrated that all organic life must be at least duplex if not multiplex in its constituent elements.Parallel Paths|Thomas William Rolleston
On one point, however, my whole multiplex estate of man was unanimous: the letter being gone, there was no help but I must follow.The Works of Robert Louis Stevenson - Swanston Edition Vol. 13 (of 25)|Robert Louis Stevenson
British Dictionary definitions for multiplex
- the use of a common communications channel for sending two or more messages or signals. In frequency-division multiplex the frequency band transmitted by the common channel is split into narrower bands each of which constitutes a distinct channel. In time-division multiplex different channels are established by intermittent connections to the common channel
- (as modifier)a multiplex transmitter
- a purpose-built complex containing a number of cinemas and usually a restaurant or bar
- (as modifier)a multiplex cinema