- an Irish or white potato.
- any of various confidence games in which a victim is left with a sealed envelope supposedly containing money, but which contains only newspaper or scrap paper cut to the same size as paper money.
- to victimize or dupe in such a manner.
Origin of murphy
- Frank,1890–1949, U.S. statesman and jurist: associate justice of the U.S. Supreme Court 1940–49.
- Isaac,1861–96, U.S. thoroughbred racehorse jockey.
- William Par·ry [par-ee] /ˈpær i/, 1892–1987, U.S. physician: Nobel Prize in medicine 1934.
Related Words for murphyyam, spud, tuber, plant, murphy, tater, fool, dupe, fleece, rook, deceive, frame, gull, hoodwink, con, flimflam, sting, bluff, swindle, bamboozle
Examples from the Web for murphy
Contemporary Examples of murphy
Historians will be reassured that there is a historical Murphy.Are You There, Nobody? It’s Me, Margaret
October 12, 2014
Murphy took him under his wing, and one day he gave Rock To Russell, My Brother, Whom I Slept With.Why Comedians Still Think Bill Cosby Is a Genius
October 5, 2014
Murphy rarely mentions the law in his appearances in this district running from north of Palm Beach to Fort Pierce.GOP Shies Away From Obamacare Repeal
Kaiser Health News
August 25, 2014
“We've done a lot of work with the Department of Justice,” says Murphy.No Rapes On Campus? No Way.
July 5, 2014
There have long been rumors that Justice Kennedy can be persuaded by a soft personal touch, a rumor that Murphy repeats.The Outside Game of Justice Scalia, a Loner With Clout
June 16, 2014
Historical Examples of murphy
Two only lie in this grave, Mr. Murphy and a lady who died of fever.Camps, Quarters and Casual Places
Murphy fumbled with the strap, playing desperately for time.
Murphy cast one despairing glance about him and slouched to his undoing.
Murphy, of Mullough; he's used to these things—I'll send over to him.The Macdermots of Ballycloran
Look at the case of District-inspector Murphy, of Woodford, in this county.Ireland as It Is
Robert John Buckley (AKA R.J.B.)
- a dialect or informal word for potato
Word Origin for murphy
- Alex. born 1939, English rugby league player and coach; scored 16 tries in 27 test matches for Great Britain (1958–71)
- Eddie, full name Edward Regan Murphy . born 1951, US film actor and comedian. His films include 48 Hours (1982), Beverly Hills Cop (1984), Coming to America (1988), Dr Dolittle (1998), and, as a voice artist, the Shrek series of animated films (2001–10)
- William Parry. 1892–1987, US physician: with G. R. Minot, he discovered the liver treatment for anaemia and they shared, with G. H. Whipple, the Nobel prize for physiology or medicine in 1934
Gaelic Murchadh "sea-warrior." The Celtic "sea" element is also in names Muriel (q.v.), Murdoch (Old Irish Muireadhach, Old Welsh Mordoc "mariner"), etc. Murphy bed (1925) is named for U.S. inventor William Lawrence Murphy (1876-1959). By happy coincidence, Murphy was an illiterate 18c.-19c. perversion of Morpheus, god of sleep.
- American physician. He shared a 1934 Nobel Prize for discovering that a diet of liver relieves anemia.