- (of seeds) not enclosed in an ovary.
- (of flowers) without a calyx or perianth.
- (of stalks, branches, etc.) without leaves.
- (of stalks, leaves, etc.) without hairs or pubescence.
Words nearby naked
Origin of naked
SYNONYMS FOR naked
ANTONYMS FOR naked
OTHER WORDS FROM naked
Examples from the Web for naked
One measly year later, Pam woke to find a naked Ewing grinning at her in the shower.
“You can cut my hair, you can bald me, you can strip me naked and take away my dignity,” she said.A Quorum For Change: The Fight For Global LGBT Equality|Justin Jones|December 11, 2014|DAILY BEAST
In other instances, naked detainees were hooded and dragged up and down corridors while subject to physical abuse.The Most Gruesome Moments in the CIA ‘Torture Report’|Shane Harris, Tim Mak|December 9, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Witherspoon, in a physical, naked, reinventing performance plays Strayed, with Dern playing Bobbi in flashbacks.Crying With Laura Dern: The Star on Her Oscar-Worthy ‘Wild’ Turn|Kevin Fallon|December 3, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The next thing I remember was waking up in his bed back at the Sherry, naked.Bill Cosby’s Long List of Accusers (So Far): 18 Alleged Sexual Assault Victims Between 1965-2004|Marlow Stern|November 24, 2014|DAILY BEAST
Here the Dragoon groped a little on the naked scull, and cried with amazement, that "it was as cold as a knee-pan."Translations from the German (Vol 3 of 3)|Thomas Carlyle
Even the naked plain is not more bewildering than the openings of the mezquite groves and the chapparal that border it.The War Trail|Mayne Reid
He knelt at Chegwidden's side, and tore the clothes off him until he had stripped him naked.Furze the Cruel|John Trevena
The figure, naked from the waist up, huddled upon the hard-baked mud, digging madly at the earth.Average Jones|Samuel Hopkins Adams
The life of the infant is preserved by its naked body being kept in contact with that of the mother.The Catholic World; Volume I, Issues 1-6|E. Rameur
British Dictionary definitions for naked
- unsupported by authority or financial or other considerationa naked contract
- lacking some essential condition to render valid; incomplete
Derived forms of nakednakedly, adverbnakedness, noun
Word Origin for naked
Science definitions for naked
- Lacking a pericarp, as the seeds of the pine.
- Lacking a perianth, as the flowers of spurge.
- Unprotected by scales, as a bud.
- Having no leaves, as a branch or stem.
- Having no covering of fine, hairlike structures, as a stalk or leaf; glabrous.