- of, relating to, or maintained by a nation as an organized whole or independent political unit: national affairs.
- owned, preserved, or maintained by the federal government: a national wildlife refuge.
- peculiar or common to the whole people of a country: national customs.
- devoted to one's own nation, its interests, etc.; patriotic: to stir up national pride.
- concerning or encompassing an entire nation: a national radio network.
- limited to one nation.
- a citizen or subject of a particular nation who is entitled to its protection: U.S. nationals living abroad.
- Often nationals. a national competition, tournament, or the like: We're invited to Minneapolis for the nationals.
- a national company or organization.
Origin of national
Related Words for nationalcommunal, civil, ethnic, domestic, governmental, internal, social, public, nationwide, interstate, royal, sovereign, general, state, vernacular, sweeping, home, imperial, native, federal
Examples from the Web for national
Contemporary Examples of national
The scheme has been condemned by civil liberties groups and queried by the National Association of Head Teachers.Britain May Spy on Preschoolers Searching for Potential Jihadis
January 7, 2015
Whether he can do it on the national stage is the unanswered question.Can Huckabee Convert the GOP’s Moneymen?
January 4, 2015
We face a lot of problems at this moment in our national and global history.In 2015, Let’s Try for More Compassion
January 4, 2015
If mercy is not preached by a national figure we take seriously, our battles over policy power will grow ever more merciless.No Gods, No Cops, No Masters
January 1, 2015
His son, Yaqoob Bizenjo, served as a member of the National Assembly until 2013.The Dangerous Drug-Funded Secret War Between Iran and Pakistan
December 29, 2014
Historical Examples of national
The sentiment in the mind of every citizen is national strength.
The national verdict of 1896 has for the most part been executed.
The national purpose is indicated through a national election.
They are too deeply rooted in the principles of our national life to be altered.
When action is required to preserve our national security, we will act.
- of, involving, or relating to a nation as a whole
- of, relating to, or characteristic of a particular nationthe national dress of Poland
- rare nationalistic or patriotic
- a citizen or subject
- a national newspaper
- the National short for the Grand National