- all but; almost: nearly dead with cold.
- with close approximation: a nearly perfect likeness.
- with close agreement or resemblance: a plan nearly like our own.
- with close kinship, interest, or connection; intimately: nearly associated in business; two women nearly related.
Origin of nearly
Synonyms for nearlySee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Related Words for nearlyroughly, virtually, approximately, practically, most, about, closely, well-nigh, approaching, circa, much, round, roundly, some, somewhere
Examples from the Web for nearly
Contemporary Examples of nearly
For nearly her entire life Beyoncé has been giving us her blood, sweat, and tears in her career.Bow Down, Bitches: How Beyoncé Turned an Elevator Brawl Into a Perfect Year
December 31, 2014
Aside from a blanket ban, social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, and Reddit are nearly impossible to control.China’s Internet Is Freer Than You Think
December 27, 2014
Ramos was 38—nearly two decades older than the average recruit.In The Shadow of Murdered Cops
December 26, 2014
Since 2009, the goat has had a thriving Twitter presence as well, today enjoying up to nearly 8,000 followers.Sweden’s Burning Christmas Goat
December 25, 2014
The incident sparked his belief in Santa, but he would have to wait nearly two decades before dressing up as Jolly St. Nick.Kerry Bentivolio: The Congressman Who Believes in Santa Claus
December 24, 2014
Historical Examples of nearly
They had also taken the two available guns, and nearly all the ammunition.Explorations in Australia
In his pocket there were nearly two hundred dollars, not likely to be of any service to him.
I've wasted nearly three hours here now, dilly-dallying along.The Spenders
Harry Leon Wilson
It was to be at his free disposal, and this was nearly the same thing as owning it.
In the hands of nearly every third person was a printed paper.
- not quite; almost; practically
- not nearly nowhere near; not at allnot nearly enough money
- closelythe person most nearly concerned