- (of a proposition) such that a denial of it involves a self-contradiction.
- (of an inference or argument) such that its conclusion cannot be false if its supporting premises are true.
- (of a condition) such that it must exist if a given event is to occur or a given thing is to exist.Compare sufficient(def 2).
noun, plural nec·es·sar·ies.
TAKE THIS QUIZ TO SEE WHAT YOU KNOW ABOUT 2ND-3RD GRADE VOCAB FROM BOOKS!
Origin of necessary
SYNONYMS FOR necessary
OTHER WORDS FROM necessarynec·es·sar·i·ness, nounqua·si-nec·es·sar·y, adjective
WORDS THAT MAY BE CONFUSED WITH necessarynecessary necessitous (see synonym study at the current entry)
Words nearby necessary
Example sentences from the Web for necessaries
An expenditure of a little over a quarter of a dollar will provide you with these necessaries.The Complete Bachelor|Walter Germain
They are provided with the necessaries of life, and afterward are conducted to the village in triumph.The Delight Makers|Adolf Bandelier
And do you rank the best way of making pies, cakes, and puddings, with necessaries or superfluities?Mind Amongst the Spindles|Various
The question came one day while the keen eyes were taking in the store of wood, water and other necessaries.Joyce of the North Woods|Harriet T. Comstock
Or one might conceivably be in a place where the necessaries of life could not be bought for money at all.The Ragged Trousered Philanthropists|Robert Tressell
British Dictionary definitions for necessaries (1 of 2)
British Dictionary definitions for necessaries (2 of 2)
- (of a statement, formula, etc) true under all interpretations or in all possible circumstances
- (of a proposition) determined to be true by its meaning, so that its denial would be self-contradictory
- (of a property) essential, so that without it its subject would not be the entity it is
- (of an inference) always yielding a true conclusion when its premises are true; valid
- (of a condition) entailed by the truth of some statement or the obtaining of some state of affairsCompare sufficient (def. 2)