noun, plural ne·ces·si·ties.
Origin of necessity
Related formsnon·ne·ces·si·ty, noun, plural non·ne·ces·si·ties.su·per·ne·ces·si·ty, noun, plural su·per·ne·ces·si·ties.
Examples from the Web for necessity
All of these changes to college financing occurred at exactly the time when college education became a necessity.The Student Loan Crisis That Isn’t About Kids at Harvard|Monica Potts|November 30, 2014|DAILY BEAST
I had to create plays out of necessity, because African women deserved a voice and a place on the stage.
After all, the Prince of necessity had to focus on defeating his external enemies.Valerie Jarrett, Obama Consigliere—and Democracy Killer|James Poulos|November 12, 2014|DAILY BEAST
The way San Pedro Prison functions is a necessity as a result, Bolivian journalist Aldo Medinaceli explained to me.Cocaine, Politicians and Wives: Inside the World’s Most Bizarre Prison|Jason Batansky|October 12, 2014|DAILY BEAST
That was galling for those who described the invasion of Iraq as a conflict of choice, not necessity.
Impress upon them the necessity of selecting capable officers.The Boy and the Sunday School|John L. Alexander
By the necessity of our constitution a certain enthusiasm attends the individual's consciousness of that divine presence.Essays, First Series|Ralph Waldo Emerson
First, the arts dealing with form, where its necessity is evident.Essay on the Creative Imagination|Th. Ribot
This is not an abnormal action, but is of necessity, or asphyxia would instantly result and the runner would drop.
This he fully admitted, but was not prepared to dispense with the necessity of an academical preparation.
British Dictionary definitions for necessity
noun plural -ties
- a condition, principle, or conclusion that cannot be otherwise
- the constraining force of physical determinants on all aspects of lifeCompare freedom (def. 8)
- the property of being necessary
- a statement asserting that some property is essential or statement is necessarily true
- the operator that indicates that the expression it modifies is true in all possible worldsUsual symbol: □, ∟
Idioms and Phrases with necessity
In addition to the idiom beginning with necessity
- necessity is the mother of invention
- make a virtue of necessity
- of necessity