- (not in technical use) electron(def 1).
Origin of negaton
- Also called negatron. Physics, Chemistry. an elementary particle that is a fundamental constituent of matter, having a negative charge of 1.602 × 10−19 coulombs, a mass of 9.108 × 10−31 kilograms, and spin of ½, and existing independently or as the component outside the nucleus of an atom.
- Electricity. a unit of charge equal to the charge on one electron.
Origin of electron
Examples from the Web for negatron
Historical Examples of negatron
These units are the positron, the negatron, and the neutron.Cube Root of Conquest
Roger Phillips Graham
Ron Val leaped past Hargraves, dived for a seat on the negatron.
Ron Val lifted a white face from the sighting 'scope of the negatron.
The negatron swung around to the right, centered on something there.
"If they don't succeed in manning the negatron," Usher pointed out.
- an obsolete word for electron
Word Origin for negatron
- a stable elementary particle present in all atoms, orbiting the nucleus in numbers equal to the atomic number of the element in the neutral atom; a lepton with a negative charge of 1.602 176 462 × 10 –19 coulomb, a rest mass of 9.109 381 88 × 10 –31 kilogram, a radius of 2.817 940 285 × 10 –15 metre, and a spin of 1/2
Word Origin for electron
- An electron with a negative charge, as contrasted with a positron.
- A stable subatomic particle in the lepton family having a rest mass of 9.1066 X 10-28 gram and a unit negative electric charge of approximately 1.602 X 10-19 coulomb.negatron
- An electron with a negative charge; the antiparticle of the positron. Most branches of particle physics construe each particle along with its antiparticle to be two different forms of one underlying phenomenon, and the term electron is sometimes used as a precisely such a general term, with positron and negatron referring to the forms of the electron as they are manifested in nature. See more at electron.
- A stable elementary particle in the lepton family having a mass at rest of 9.107 X 10-28 grams and a negative electric charge of approximately 1.602 X 10-19 coulombs. Electrons orbit about the positively charged nuclei of atoms in distinct orbitals of different energy levels, called shells. Electrons are the primary charge carriers in electric current. Compare positron. See also electromagnetism elementary particle ion. See Table at subatomic particle.
- A positron or a negatron.