- noting or pertaining to an interval of time corresponding to the Miocene and Pliocene epochs and accorded the status of a period when the Tertiary is considered an era.Compare Paleogene.
- the Neogene Period or System.
Origin of Neogene
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for neogene
The deposits of the central, or Lycaonian, plateau consist of freshwater marls and limestones of late Tertiary or Neogene age.
- of, denoting, or formed during the Miocene and Pliocene epochs
- the Neogene the Neogene period or system
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
- The youngest of two subdivisions of the Tertiary Period, including the Miocene and Pliocene Epochs.
The American Heritage® Science Dictionary Copyright © 2011. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.