[noo-shuh-tel, nyoo-, noo-shuh-tel, nyoo-; French nœ-shah-tel]
- a canton in W Switzerland. 309 sq. mi. (800 sq. km).
- the capital of this canton, on the Lake of Neuchâtel.
- Lake of, a lake in W Switzerland. 85 sq. mi. (220 sq. km).
German Neu·en·burg [noi-uh n-boo rk] /ˈnɔɪ ənˌbʊərk/.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for neuchatel
But during this time what were the adherents of the Pope doing in Neuchatel?
Now the canons of Neuchatel and the monks of Fontaine were at open war.
The deputies from Berne arrived in Neuchatel on the 7th August.
At Neuchatel the Bernese supported the Evangelical citizens.
The citizens of Neuchatel allowed him to execute this measure.
- a canton in the Jura Mountains of W Switzerland. Capital: Neuchâtel. Pop: 167 000 (2002 est). Area: 798 sq km (308 sq miles)
- a town in W Switzerland, capital of Neuchâtel canton, on Lake Neuchâtel: until 1848 the seat of the last hereditary rulers in Switzerland. Pop: 32 914 (2000)
- Lake Neuchâtel a lake in W Switzerland: the largest lake wholly in Switzerland. Area: 216 sq km (83 sq miles)
German name (for senses 1, 2): Neuenburg (ˈnɔyənbʊrk)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012