Idioms for next
- in an adjacent house, apartment, office, etc.; neighboring.
- in a position of proximity; near to: They are next door to poverty.
- adjacent to: He sat next to his sister.
- almost; nearly: next to impossible.
- aside from: Next to cake, ice cream is my favorite dessert.
Words nearby next
British Dictionary definitions for next to
- adjacent to; at or on one side ofthe house next to ours
- following in degreenext to your mother, who do you love most?
- almostnext to impossible
Word Origin for next
Idioms and Phrases with next to (1 of 2)
Adjacent to, as in The car next to mine has a flat tire, [Late 1300s]
Following in order or degree, as in Next to skiing, she likes hiking. [Early 1500s]
Almost, practically, as in It's next to impossible to predict the outcome, or I earned next to nothing last year. [Second half of 1600s]
Idioms and Phrases with next to (2 of 2)
In addition to the idioms beginning with next
- next door to
- next to
- cleanliness is next to godliness