- Informal. an alcoholic drink taken at bedtime or at the end of a festive evening.
- a cap for the head, intended primarily to be worn in bed.
- Sports Informal. the last event of the program for the day, especially the second game of a doubleheader in baseball or the last race of the day in horse racing.
Origin of nightcap
Related Words for nightcapsedative, nightcap, digestif, bromide, hypnotic, soporific, barbiturate, benzodiazepine
Examples from the Web for nightcap
Contemporary Examples of nightcap
That night, about a week before Thanksgiving, Salahi invited her to his hotel room for a nightcap.Tareq Salahi’s New Troubles
March 8, 2012
Elaine was always happy to see me, although she didn't bother to hide her irritation when I'd come for a nightcap.Farewell to New York's Legendary Restaurateur
December 3, 2010
Historical Examples of nightcap
I suppose after what you've said it's no use asking you to have a nightcap, Vane?The Missionary
A mug of mulled claret for a nightcap, and a good sleep, will set you all right.Barrington
Charles James Lever
Do you remember the story of the 'Doctor' in the first Nightcap book?The Big Nightcap Letters
Frances Elizabeth Barrow
This is the night-shirt, and formerly a "nightcap" was used by some.As A Chinaman Saw Us
The word 'nightcap' is spelled with and without a hyphen in the text.Careless Jane and Other Tales
- a bedtime drink, esp an alcoholic or hot one
- a soft cap formerly worn in bed