- to be excessively concerned with or critical of inconsequential details.
- to criticize by focusing on inconsequential details.
- a carping, petty criticism.
- of, relating to, or characteristic of a nitpicker or nitpicking.
Origin of nitpick
Related Words for nit-pickingpompous, stilted, abstruse, demure, demanding, precise, onerous, stringent, harsh, imperious, strict, painstaking, rigorous, rigid, choosy, squeamish, fastidious, scrupulous, fussy, discriminating
Examples from the Web for nit-picking
Contemporary Examples of nit-picking
Instead, they have unleashed a storm of nit-picking and vilification.Niall Ferguson Defends Newsweek Cover: Correct This, Bloggers
August 21, 2012
Even after logging countless hours nit-picking her work, there is no one I'd rather spend time with.15 Love Lessons for Jen... from Jen
February 11, 2009
- a concern with insignificant details, esp with the intention of finding fault
- showing such a concern; fussy
Word Origin for nit-picking
"seek petty faults," also nit-pick, 1962, back-formation from earlier nitpicker. Related: Nitpicking; nitpicky.