- to be excessively concerned with or critical of inconsequential details.
- to criticize by focusing on inconsequential details.
- a carping, petty criticism.
- of, relating to, or characteristic of a nitpicker or nitpicking.
Origin of nitpick
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for nit-picking
Instead, they have unleashed a storm of nit-picking and vilification.Niall Ferguson Defends Newsweek Cover: Correct This, Bloggers
August 21, 2012
Even after logging countless hours nit-picking her work, there is no one I'd rather spend time with.15 Love Lessons for Jen... from Jen
February 11, 2009
- a concern with insignificant details, esp with the intention of finding fault
- showing such a concern; fussy
C20: from nit 1 + pick 1
Word Origin and History for nit-picking
"seek petty faults," also nit-pick, 1962, back-formation from earlier nitpicker. Related: Nitpicking; nitpicky.
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper