- Chemistry. a salt or ester of nitrous acid.
- Nutrition. sodium nitrite.
Origin of nitrite
Examples from the Web for nitrite
Historical Examples of nitrite
It exists in the air as nitrate or nitrite of ammonia, and also as carbonate of ammonia.Manures and the principles of manuring
Charles Morton Aikman
Next 1¾ pints of nitrite of soda solution, containing 1½ lb.The Dyeing of Cotton Fabrics
Inhalations of nitrite of amyl are said to have been useful.
As an antidote, nitrite of amyl has apparently been used with success.
The Council did not determine the nitrite content of the tablets.
- any salt or ester of nitrous acid
- The univalent radical NO2.
- A compound containing such a radical, such as a salt or ester of nitrous acid.
- A salt or ester of nitrous acid, containing the group NO2. Nitrites are an important component of the nitrogen cycle and are used as food preservatives. Compare nitrate.