- a manner or technique of treating subject matter that presents, through volume of detail, a deterministic view of human life and actions.
- a deterministic theory of writing in which it is held that a writer should adopt an objective view toward the material written about, be free of preconceived ideas as to form and content, and represent with clinical accuracy and frankness the details of life.Compare realism(def 4b).
- a representation of natural appearances or natural patterns of speech, manner, etc., in a work of fiction.
- the depiction of the physical environment, especially landscape or the rural environment.
- the view of the world that takes account only of natural elements and forces, excluding the supernatural or spiritual.
- the belief that all phenomena are covered by laws of science and that all teleological explanations are therefore without value.
Words nearby naturalism
OTHER WORDS FROM naturalisman·ti·nat·u·ral·ism, nounnon·nat·u·ral·ism, noun
British Dictionary definitions for non-naturalism (1 of 2)
British Dictionary definitions for non-naturalism (2 of 2)
- a movement, esp in art and literature, advocating detailed realistic and factual description, esp that in 19th-century France in the writings of Zola, Flaubert, etc
- the characteristics or effects of this movement
- a scientific account of the world in terms of causes and natural forces that rejects all spiritual, supernatural, or teleological explanations
- the meta-ethical thesis that moral properties are reducible to natural ones, or that ethical judgments are derivable from nonethical onesCompare naturalistic fallacy, descriptivism
Culture definitions for non-naturalism (1 of 2)
A movement in literature and the arts, and an approach to philosophy. Literary and artistic naturalism aims at accuracy and objectivity and cultivates realistic and even sordid portrayals of people and their environment. Philosophical naturalism, which is often identified with materialism, holds that minds, spirits, and ideas are fundamentally material.
Culture definitions for non-naturalism (2 of 2)
In the visual arts, an attempt to depict the natural world as accurately and objectively as possible.