- a sociocultural classification of modern humans with darker pigmentation of the skin than is characteristic in people of European descent.
- a person who is not a member of the group in a society with lighter colored skin; a person of color.
- not belonging to the societal group marked by slight pigmentation of the skin and European descent: the nonwhite peoples of Africa and Asia; Both immigration and births contributed to nonwhite population growth in the most recent census.
- of or relating to nonwhite persons or peoples.
Origin of nonwhite
Use of the word nonwhite to describe a population group has sometimes been criticized for implying in its very structure that “white” is the norm and anything else is a deviation from that norm. A more affirmative descriptive term, like person(s) of color , is often appropriate, as are other specific ethnic, cultural, or national designations. However, nonwhite is still in common use, especially in contexts where the focus is on statistical analyses of populations of European ancestry as distinguished from other populations.
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for non-white
Secondly, Republicans have to do better with non-white voters.How Old People Will Decide Your Future
October 17, 2014
About the disparities in outcomes for white and non-white Americans, particularly in the criminal justice system.When Activism Is Worse Than Apathy
October 6, 2014
According to a recent Pew Poll, white and non-white Millennials have distinct and divided takes on the role of government.
White Millennials preferred a smaller government, while non-white Millennials wanted the opposite.
But for Ritfeld, who grew up as the only non-white kid in his town, the tradition has always provoked uncomfortable feelings.Amsterdam’s Racist Black Pete Parade Under Fire
November 11, 2013
The mass of mankind, white and non-white alike, remained oblivious to signs of change.
No white race-areas would have to be abandoned to non-white domination.
The tail is folded, and the white tips are covered by the two non-white centre feathers.An Australian Bird Book
John Albert Leach
In all the countries named, when a non-white creole is indicated the word negro is added.
- a person not of the Caucasoid or White race
This word may well cause offence. If you need to refer to people's race it may be better to specify it or else to use a phrase such as 'a person from a minority ethnic group'
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012