- the fact of existing; existence (as opposed to nonexistence).
- conscious, mortal existence; life: Our being is as an instantaneous flash of light in the midst of eternal night.
- substance or nature: of such a being as to arouse fear.
- something that exists: inanimate beings.
- a living thing: strange, exotic beings that live in the depths of the sea.
- a human being; person: the most beautiful being you could imagine.
- (initial capital letter) God.
- that which has actuality either materially or in idea.
- absolute existence in a complete or perfect state, lacking no essential characteristic; essence.
- Nonstandard. since; because; considering that (often followed by as, as how, or that): Being it's midnight, let's go home. Being as how you cooked supper, I'll do the dishes.
Origin of being
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Related Words for nonbeingnobody, nullity, scratch, nihility, zero, blank, extinction, nonexistence, trifle, zip, diddly, naught, void, nix, cipher, crumb, obliteration, bagatelle, aught, nothingness
- the philosophical problem arising from the fact that the ability to refer appears to presuppose the existence of whatever is referred to, and yet we can talk intelligibly about nonexistent objectsSee also subsistence (def. 5)
- the state or fact of existing; existence
- essential nature; selfshe put her whole being into the part
- something that exists or is thought to exist, esp something that cannot be assigned to any categorya being from outer space
- a person; human being
- (in the philosophy of Aristotle) actualityCompare becoming (def. 3)
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper
see for the moment (time being); other things being equal.
The American Heritage® Idioms Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company.