[ hoh-muh-jee-nee-uhs, -jeen-yuhs, hom-uh- ]
/ ˌhoʊ məˈdʒi ni əs, -ˈdʒin yəs, ˌhɒm ə- /
Save This Word!
composed of parts or elements that are all of the same kind; not heterogeneous: a homogeneous population.
of the same kind or nature; essentially alike.
- having a common property throughout: a homogeneous solid figure.
- having all terms of the same degree: a homogeneous equation.
- relating to a function of several variables that becomes multiplied by some power of a constant when each variable is multiplied by that constant: x2y3is a homogeneous expression of degree 5.
- relating to a differential equation in which a linear combination of derivatives is set equal to zero.
QUIZ YOURSELF ON "IS" VS. "ARE"
"Is" it time for a new quiz? "Are" you ready? Then prove your excellent skills on using "is" vs. "are."
Question 1 of 7
IS and ARE are both forms of which verb?
Origin of homogeneous
OTHER WORDS FROM homogeneous
ho·mo·ge·ne·ous·ly, adverbnon·ho·mo·ge·ne·ous, adjectivenon·ho·mo·ge·ne·ous·ly, adverbnon·ho·mo·ge·ne·ous·ness, noun
un·ho·mo·ge·ne·ous, adjectiveun·ho·mo·ge·ne·ous·ly, adverbun·ho·mo·ge·ne·ous·ness, noun
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2022
British Dictionary definitions for homogeneous
/ (ˌhəʊməˈdʒiːnɪəs, ˌhɒm-) /
composed of similar or identical parts or elements
of uniform nature
similar in kind or nature
having a constant property, such as density, throughout
- (of a polynomial) containing terms of the same degree with respect to all the variables, as in x ² + 2 xy + y ²
- (of a function) containing a set of variables such that when each is multiplied by a constant, this constant can be eliminated without altering the value of the function, as in cos x / y + x / y
- (of an equation) containing a homogeneous function made equal to 0
chem of, composed of, or concerned with a single phaseCompare heterogeneous
Also (for senses 1–4): homogenous
Derived forms of homogeneoushomogeneity (ˌhəʊməʊdʒɪˈniːɪtɪ, ˌhɒm-), nounhomogeneously, adverbhomogeneousness, noun
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Medical definitions for homogeneous
[ hō′mə-jē′nē-əs, -jēn′yəs ]
Of the same or similar nature or kind.
Uniform in structure or composition throughout, as of a chemical mixture.
The American Heritage® Stedman's Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.