- composed of parts or elements that are all of the same kind; not heterogeneous: a homogeneous population.
- of the same kind or nature; essentially alike.
- having a common property throughout: a homogeneous solid figure.
- having all terms of the same degree: a homogeneous equation.
- relating to a function of several variables that becomes multiplied by some power of a constant when each variable is multiplied by that constant: x2y3 is a homogeneous expression of degree 5.
- relating to a differential equation in which a linear combination of derivatives is set equal to zero.
Origin of homogeneous
Synonyms for homogeneousSee more synonyms for on Thesaurus.com
Examples from the Web for homogeneous
Historical Examples of homogeneous
Homogeneous: of the same kind or nature: similar in texture or parts.Explanation of Terms Used in Entomology
John. B. Smith
I have said that this law of Homogeneous Counter-relativity has not been recognised by logicians.Logic, Inductive and Deductive
And next, that the parts of such a body must be Homogeneous, or of the same kind.Micrographia
Homogeneous in its character, the population was harmonious.The Memories of Fifty Years
William H. Sparks
We are getting near the end of the great Democratic, Wholesale, or Homogeneous phase in the world's history.Anticipations
Herbert George Wells
- composed of similar or identical parts or elements
- of uniform nature
- similar in kind or nature
- having a constant property, such as density, throughout
- (of a polynomial) containing terms of the same degree with respect to all the variables, as in x ² + 2 xy + y ²
- (of a function) containing a set of variables such that when each is multiplied by a constant, this constant can be eliminated without altering the value of the function, as in cos x / y + x / y
- (of an equation) containing a homogeneous function made equal to 0
- chem of, composed of, or concerned with a single phaseCompare heterogeneous
- Of the same or similar nature or kind.
- Uniform in structure or composition throughout, as of a chemical mixture.