- not productive; unproductive.
- not worthwhile or beneficial; not leading to practical or beneficial results.
- not producing goods directly, as employees in charge of personnel or inspectors.
Origin of nonproductive
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for nonproductive
Besides the overhead of slaves and nonproductive brewers, the establishment required the services of two coopers at 20 per year.The Cultural History of Marlborough, Virginia
C. Malcolm Watkins
They are classed as nonproductive workers, therefore their salary scales are lower than those for productive workers.Area Handbook for Bulgaria
Eugene K. Keefe, Violeta D. Baluyut, William Giloane, Anne K. Long, James M. Moore, and Neda A. Walpole
- (of workers) not directly responsible for producing goods
- having disappointing results; unproductive
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012