- the seed of the orangelike fruit of an East Indian tree, Strychnos nux-vomica, of the logania family, containing strychnine, used in medicine.
- the tree itself; strychnine.
Origin of nux vomica
1570–80; < New Latin: literally, vomiting nut
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- an Indian spiny loganiaceous tree, Strychnos nux-vomica, with orange-red berries containing poisonous seeds
- any of the seeds of this tree, which contain strychnine and other poisonous alkaloids
- a medicine manufactured from the seeds of this tree, formerly used as a heart stimulant
C16: from Medieval Latin: vomiting nut