- a company of eight singers or musicians.
- a musical composition for eight voices or instruments.
- Prosody. octave(def 4).
- any group of eight.
Origin of octet
Related Words for octetchorus, trio, cast, orchestra, band, troupe, assemblage, quintet, sextet, choir, quartet, octave, octad, octet, octagon, gathering, set, group, composite, sum
Examples from the Web for octet
Contemporary Examples of octet
In recent months, the Israeli press has been rife with speculation about how the octet would view a strike on Iran.Meet the Israeli ‘Octet’ That Would Decide an Iran Attack
March 9, 2012
Historical Examples of octet
The octet was finished and the first two lines of the sestet.Orpheus in Mayfair and Other Stories and Sketches
Sonata for piano, violin, and violoncello (from the Octet, Op. 103); pub.
Felix had not completed his seventeenth year when the Octet was written.Story-Lives of Great Musicians
Francis Jameson Rowbotham
Octet for wind instruments, in E flat major; composed in Bonn before 1792.
Later he wrote a new postlude, which is found among motivi for the Octet and the Trio in C minor.The Life of Ludwig van Beethoven, Volume I (of 3)
Alexander Wheelock Thayer
- any group of eight, esp eight singers or musicians
- a piece of music composed for such a group
- prosody another word for octave (def. 2)
- chem a group of eight electrons forming a stable shell in an atom