[awf-see-zuh n, of-]
- a time of year other than the regular or busiest one for a specific activity: Fares are lower in the off-season.
- a time of year when business, manufacturing activity, etc., is less than normal or at an unusually low point.
- of, relating to, or during the off-season: off-season hotel rates.
- in or during the off-season: Traveling off-season is the easiest way to save vacation money.
Origin of off-season
First recorded in 1840–50
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- denoting or occurring during a period of little activity in a trade or business
- such a period
- in an off-season period
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper