- cavalierly, curtly, or brusquely: to reply offhand.
- without previous thought or preparation; extempore: to decide offhand to take a trip.
- informal, casual, curt, or brusque: an offhand manner.
- Also off·hand·ed. done or made offhand.
- Glassmaking. working manually and without the use of molds: offhand blowing.
Origin of offhand
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for offhandedness
Her offhandedness, her inability to realise the situation, were exasperating to the young widow.The Lion's Share
E. Arnold Bennett
- without care, thought, or consideration; sometimes, brusque or ungraciousan offhand manner
- without preparation or warning; impromptu
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012