- cavalierly, curtly, or brusquely: to reply offhand.
- without previous thought or preparation; extempore: to decide offhand to take a trip.
- informal, casual, curt, or brusque: an offhand manner.
- Also off·hand·ed. done or made offhand.
- Glassmaking. working manually and without the use of molds: offhand blowing.
Origin of offhand
Synonyms for offhand
Antonyms for offhand
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
Examples from the Web for offhandedness
Historical Examples of offhandedness
Her offhandedness, her inability to realise the situation, were exasperating to the young widow.The Lion's Share
E. Arnold Bennett
- without care, thought, or consideration; sometimes, brusque or ungraciousan offhand manner
- without preparation or warning; impromptu
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012