- Disparaging and Offensive. an elderly or confirmed spinster.
- a fussy, timid, prudish person.
- a simple game, played with a deck having one card removed, in which the players draw from one another to match pairs and the one holding an odd queen at the end loses.
- the loser of such a game.
Origin of old maid
Examples from the Web for old maid
Historical Examples of old maid
It was an old-maid's apprehensions, and you forgot the whole thing.Barrington
Charles James Lever
She looks like the picture of the old maid on the old-maid cards.The Mystery at Dark Cedars
You would as soon hear a 'No' from an old-maid as from the House of Commons.
She was an old-maid school-teacher, ugly enough to stop a clock.Rough-Hewn
The duties of an old-maid aunt cannot be entered upon lightly.
- a woman regarded as unlikely ever to marry; spinster
- informal a prim, fastidious, or excessively cautious person
- a card game using a pack from which one card has been removed, in which players try to avoid holding the unpaired card at the end of the game