- of or relating to proper names.
- of or relating to onomastics.
- Law. (of a signature) written in the handwriting other than that of the document, instrument, etc., to which it is appended.
Origin of onomastic
Dictionary.com Unabridged Based on the Random House Unabridged Dictionary, © Random House, Inc. 2018
- of or relating to proper names
- law denoting a signature in a different handwriting from that of the document to which it is attached
Word Origin for onomastic
C17: from Greek onomastikos, from onomazein to name, from onoma name
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1979, 1986 © HarperCollins Publishers 1998, 2000, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2012
Word Origin and History for onomastic
1716, from French onomastique (17c.), from Greek onomastikos "of or belonging to naming," from onomastos "named," verbal adjective of onomazein "to name," from onoma "name" (see name).
Online Etymology Dictionary, © 2010 Douglas Harper