- situated on diametrically opposed sides of an axis, as leaves when there are two on one node.
- having one organ vertically above another; superimposed.
VIDEO FOR OPPOSITE
WATCH NOW: Common Words With Uncommon Opposites
As we all know every lone sock has a long-lost twin, some words we use every day also have pairs that we just forgot about. Here are some of the English language’s best uncommon opposites.
HEED THE VOX POPULI, AND TAKE THIS WORD OF THE DAY QUIZ!
Origin of opposite
SYNONYMS FOR opposite
synonym study for opposite
OTHER WORDS FROM opposite
Words nearby opposite
Example sentences from the Web for opposite
The media tend to frame situations like this as aberrations, but in this case, quite the opposite is the truth.
Couple walked towards the opposite end of the dungeon, where she previously played with Destiny.Dungeons and Genital Clamps: Inside a Legendary BDSM Chateau|Ian Frisch|December 20, 2014|DAILY BEAST
As Rathod noted, SIX is not supposed to be merely the opposite of ALEC.
I'm very interested in Liv Ullmann for the woman's part, opposite Sean … yes … oh, I see then.Alfred Hitchcock’s Fade to Black: The Great Director’s Final Days|David Freeman|December 13, 2014|DAILY BEAST
In fact, for most of the Bush era, the opposite was the truth.The U.S. Will Torture Again—and We’re All to Blame|Michael Tomasky|December 12, 2014|DAILY BEAST
We notice that its leaves are opposite, that its corolla has five petals and that its calyx is inflated.Why Worry?|George Lincoln Walton, M.D.
All attempt at concealment implies some practice of the opposite, or undivine science, founded on nescience.
He is nearly two years older than Frank, and about as opposite to him in personal appearance as can well be imagined.Frank's Campaign|Horatio Alger, Jr.
All his proceedings certainly seem to require an opposite construction, and to contemplate his own leadership.'
They rode for some distance along a pretty straight road, and then came to a bridge, which was opposite to a great round castle.Rollo in Rome|Jacob Abbott
British Dictionary definitions for opposite
- (of leaves, flowers, etc) arranged in pairs on either side of the stem
- (of parts of a flower) arranged opposite the middle of another part
- (of two vertices or sides in an even-sided polygon) separated by the same number of vertices or sides in both a clockwise and anticlockwise direction
- (of a side in a triangle) facing a specified angleAbbreviation: opp