- situated on diametrically opposed sides of an axis, as leaves when there are two on one node.
- having one organ vertically above another; superimposed.
Origin of opposite
SYNONYMS FOR opposite
Examples from the Web for oppositely
If the streams are oppositely directed the wires repel each other.
Magnets attract only when their poles are reversed, or when they are oppositely electrified, and suns and planets do the same.The Universe a Vast Electric Organism|George Woodward Warder
Our stream from the battery causes this oppositely directed stream.
If the two bodies were oppositely electrified they would exert attractions upon each other.Popular scientific lectures|Ernst Mach
This helps my theories to find entrance into the most oppositely constituted minds.Legends|August Strindberg
British Dictionary definitions for oppositely
- (of leaves, flowers, etc) arranged in pairs on either side of the stem
- (of parts of a flower) arranged opposite the middle of another part
- (of two vertices or sides in an even-sided polygon) separated by the same number of vertices or sides in both a clockwise and anticlockwise direction
- (of a side in a triangle) facing a specified angleAbbreviation: opp