- situated on diametrically opposed sides of an axis, as leaves when there are two on one node.
- having one organ vertically above another; superimposed.
Words nearby opposite
Origin of opposite
SYNONYMS FOR opposite
OTHER WORDS FROM opposite
synonym study for opposite
Examples from the Web for opposites
Any list of his conspicuous qualities turns out to be a recitation of opposites.
Really, though, the American Atheist convention in Salt Lake City is not a clash of opposites.
In classic TV style, this pair of oddballs proves that opposites really do attract.‘Sleepy Hollow’ Is TV’s Craziest, Most Over-the-Top New Show ... And You Should Watch It|Amy Zimmerman|October 8, 2013|DAILY BEAST
However, as Sunday night's episode of Breaking Bad taught us, opposites clearly attract.‘Breaking Bad’ Meets ‘Mr. Magorium’s Wonder Emporium’… And It Is Glorious|Amy Zimmerman|September 25, 2013|DAILY BEAST
It was routine in Cold War times to see Chiang and Mao and the parties they led as opposites in every way.
Note that this method, although indirect, is very potent; for it ends by really transforming the passions into their opposites.Initiation into Philosophy|Emile Faguet
In short, individuality and personality of character are the opposites of suggestibility.Folkways|William Graham Sumner
How can it be, when God is love, and God and sin are opposites?In Convent Walls|Emily Sarah Holt
What a mad jumble of opposites was this useless and horrible war!The Red Year|Louis Tracy
By comparing the upper and the lowest figure it will be seen that they are opposites.Voice Production in Singing and Speaking|Wesley Mills
British Dictionary definitions for opposites
- (of leaves, flowers, etc) arranged in pairs on either side of the stem
- (of parts of a flower) arranged opposite the middle of another part
- (of two vertices or sides in an even-sided polygon) separated by the same number of vertices or sides in both a clockwise and anticlockwise direction
- (of a side in a triangle) facing a specified angleAbbreviation: opp